Sunday, October 17, 2010

Holiday Scheduling...

I can't remember the last time I just sat, quiet, by myself. I'm an enthusiastic planner. I do best staying busy, with long lists, and full schedules. As a "new nurse" I have the pleasure of working every other weekend...I'm not complaining, I was fortunate enough to find a nursing job in Utah, let alone working full-time and day shifts . I can suck it up and work a few weekends. It never killed anyone. One nice thing about working weekends is that occasionally, (meaning rarely, or almost never) it's quiet, and slow. I'm working today, alone, on the orthopedics unit with two patients and it is both quiet and slow. So I thought I'd set my book and KSL classifides ads (a.k.a. wishful couch looking) asside and blog a bit of what we've been up to...

First of all...holiday scheduling. I've been dreading this moment for a long time. Mostly because of my work schedule (apparently people get sick on holidays too,) but also because our families don't live particuarly close to one another, throw in being newly married and trying to establish your own traditions, and well, it can get quite complicated. For now, I'm just hoping it'll work out in the end. Back to scheduling, the process is intense...it includes rating Thanksgiving eve, Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, Christmas, and New years eve and New years on a scale of 1-6, (apparently everything is done on a scale here at the hospital..."What is your pain on a scale of 1-10" I can't even count how many times I ask this question on a daily basis) I feel like I'm being trapped. It's such a loaded question. How do you rate your holiday's? There are no guarantees. I'm trying to be all strategic about how and at what number to request these days off. But I'm at a loss. There are too many variables. If I think about it anymore I may just loose sleep over it. I guess it's just the planner in me.

Thursday- Jar and I washed up his bike all nice-like and got it ready to store for winter. Sad day. It will be missed. That night we went and saw the movie "Life as we know it" loved it. Highly recommended. Sidenote: Jarom is so good to go to movies that I want to see. I love him.

Friday- Jarom saw on the news that this fisherman caught a 30' some odd 14 lb. trout at Strawberry Reservoir, so naturally we had to go catch one too ;) We drove through Provo Canyon, the leaves are amazing. I love fall. Alot. It was really windy at Strawberry, but we had a good time. Jar brought our grill and made us some BBQ chicken. I caught a 14 in. trout which was our sole catch of the day, but in Jar's defense he did all the work, I was just holding it for a minute :)

And today- Nothing exciting. Our new favorite past-time is watching the Amazing Race on Sunday nights with the fam. We don't have T.V. so we try to go up when we can and watch it at my Mom's with them. Afraid we'll have to miss it tonight. Thank goodness for Hulu and other online broadcasting systems :)

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have a blog now by the way! And I'm totally right there with you & the holiday scheduling...I just had to rate my holidays?? This will be the first year ever I'll have to work a holiday (sigh) I guess I knew it would come sooner than later but still I feel like saying "Boo to 24 hour facilities!" HAHA.
    Keep blogging, I LOVE reading them. PS I so wish I was working with all you guys EVERYDAY (sigh twice)ha! Hopefully one day!
    Chelo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I loved you - people that make lists are the absolute best! ;)

    If it makes you feel any better, the holidays & scheduling & 2 families NEVER gets better...unless you hate one side of the family. lol Every year is a major stress for us too, and it doesn't help that our families live close together. We finally decided that the main Thanksgiving meal would switch every year. One year at the Browns, the next year at the Campbells. (still causes problems though, because every year a certain in-law is just sure that we spent the last one with my family-gah).
    As for Christmas, it took a while to work out. Now that everyone is older though, it's gotten a bit easier. We go to Campbells after doing our own thing here, and then after Campbells we go to the Browns (since they don't wake up too early anyway...in fact, I think last year WE had to wake them!)

    ReplyDelete